Thursday, April 06, 2006

Oh! Hello again!

Two months isn't really that much time away, is it? In my defense I billed the hell outta last month (I had a lot of 6 minute increments) and now I'm tired. I'm working on a pro bono project right now - trying to reunite a victim of Hurricane Katrina with his dog. While it's raised some interesting challenges it's been a ton of fun. The attorney on the other side (well, one of them) is a real...uh... let's just say that I've learned a lot about what NOT to do from her! Of course in between all that fun has been the other stuff - you know, the stuff clients pay ridiculous sums for.

But enough about that. As one can imagine all those 6 minute increments began to eat into my long luxurious weekend writing sprees. It's my own fault - I'm not prioritizing well and I need to refocus.

Focus focus focus.

I really do think that one of the big keys to this whole thing is persistance. Keep writing books, keep learning as you go, and you're bound to make it. That sounds too easy but I honestly think it's at least a good game plan to follow.

Take, for instance, The Boy. He's a spec fic writer and a damn good one at that. He's recently (in the past half year) begun to really buckle down and churn out short stories. He'd editing, he's submitting and I couldn't be prouder.

He's also getting rejections. But I look at his work and I look at his writing and I just *know* he'll make it. If not with this one then with the next. And if not that one, with the one after.

Anyways, I know it's a short return to the blogosphere but I must get myself to bed. I promise to do better... a preview of what to look forward to... buying a house! grading contest entries! a review of V-day (truly the stuff of romance novels :)

No comments: