Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Time time time (ETA Debsness!)

Crazy day today!  First, I just filed taxes.  I must admit, I'm a tax geek.  I like taxes -- I like reading the tax code, I like finding deductions, I like the puzzle of it.  But at the same time, when all is said and done, I hate pressing the button to actually file them.  Go figure.  But it's done and next year's taxes are guestimated and I am happy.

Second, I'm super excited for this afternoon when I'll be talking to a college class about The Forest of Hands and Teeth.  I so can't wait!!  I've been hearing that they really liked the book and have lots of questions!

Third, I'm totally nervous because tonight I'm doing an appearance with an Australian radio show!  Thankfully, a friend of mine who is also a fab publicist talked to me yesterday and gave me pointers.  One of the things she reminded me is that because it's being recorded and edited that I can relax and just ask to start over if I mess up.  Huge relief.  I'm really trying hard not to be nervous.... but I can't help it!

Fourth, I'm hopefully meeting up with the friend who gave us our dog Jake so his daughter can see Jake and so I can sign a copy of FHT for her.  I'm so looking forward to this!

Fifth, going out to celebrate tonight cause (a) radio show will be over (relief!) and (b) a friend just passed the bar and got sworn in.

Sixth, work.  Short story, revisions, proposal all due May 1.  This is where I learn that my idea of time is totally skewed.  Recently I calculated that if I revise 3-4 chapters a day I'll be totally golden with revisions and have PLENTY of time to read through it all as I skate to the deadline (and get weekends off!).  Um... no.  Turns out, it can take like four hours to revise one chapter.  My chapters are all less than 3k words!  How can it take so long!?!

At least the crazy work is (almost) keeping my mind off the radio gig tonight.  On that note... off to practice my readings!

Edited to add:


Find Out What's In The Bag And Win It Today

5 comments:

Samantha Elliott said...

Please let us know if the radio interview becomes available on the Web. How exciting!

Happy revising!

Adele said...

Ooh Carrie I am so excited to hear about the interview. I am an Aussie fan who loved Forest of Hands and Teeth (although I keep mistakingly typing Forest of Hands and Feet lol). I assume the interview will be with ABC and if that's the case, they tend to podcast interviews.

I love that other Aussies (inc my wonderful self *snerk*) are realising how wonderful your book is.

James Dashner said...

Carrie, congrats on the radio interview! I feel your pain on the revisions.....

Unknown said...

I'm sure your interview will go fine! It's just a conversations, after all :)

Carrie Ryan said...

Hey y'all! I'll let you know if/when the interview is available (if it sounds good -- if I sound terrible then I might just forget to link to it... :)

Adele - it was ABC and I LOVED spending time listening to an Australian accent!

James, thanks for pain-sharing - you must be gearing up for a great fall though :)