Friday, April 03, 2009

New Cover News + Twitter

Hey Y'all!  First, look at the pretty I got in the mail yesterday!!!  It's the cover flat for the UK hardback and an ARC of the Australia trade paperback.  Seriously, these are gorgeous in person.  The cover is matte black and the red leaf and title are glossy.  My name is embossed foil -- it just all is such a beautiful combination.  I'm totally going to have to find a way to get more so I can give a few away!


I've also gotten the cover for The Dead-Tossed Waves and am totally in love.  It's by the same artist as the first book - Jonathan Barkat - and you can totally tell that the two books are in the same series.  I can't wait to actually see them next to each other!

So here's my plan - I'm going to post the cover of The Dead-Tossed Waves here on Monday.  But I'll also post it on Twitter and Facebook on Sunday.  So if you want a sneak preview of the cover, make sure to friend me on Facebook and follow me on Twitter:


Carrie Ryan's Facebook profile


This raises a question, and I know I must be about the millionth person to ask it.  But what do y'all think about Twitter?  I admit, it's taken me a little while to get used to it but mostly because I haven't mastered the ability to follow the back and forth @ conversations.  I feel like I usually just get one half of them which is way confusing.  And that makes me hesitant to reply to people cause it seems strange to force all y'all to read my replies and then it buries anything interesting I might have said (really, me say something interesting in 140 characters or less??)

I kind of wish Twitter had two columns... one with people's actual messages and the other with their reply conversations.  Or if it were like IM where you could see both sides of the convo at once rather than having to click back and forth (seriously, how in the world do you follow conversations?).  But I also kind of figure that I'm probably just missing something - haha!

Anyway, one thing that I love about Twitter and facebook is being able to post random updates and photos.  I really dig TwitPic and will probably just continue with that.  But if there's anything interesting y'all would like to see with Twitter and Facebook, let me know!!

17 comments:

Reverie said...

PRETTY cover!!! I like Us better tho. maybe its the photographer in me....

Cate Gardner said...

Gorgeous cover. Though I'm in the UK, I already have the US version. Hope it sells well over here.

JenWriter said...

Oooh, pretty!

I like Twitter, but it's become insane lately! I joined over a year and a half ago when hardly anyone was on it, but I love how it's morphed into this great connection tool.

As for the @replies, there's a setting in everyone's account where they can choose whether or not they want to see the @replies of everyone in their feed. So, I think if someone really doesn't want to see those, they could just turn it off. I keep mine turned on because sometimes @replies are just as interesting! :)

Erika Powell said...

I can't wait to see the next cover!!! And I agree with you twitter would be better with two columns

GreenBeanTeenQueen said...

I like Twitter, but it can be confusing to follow everyone's conversations. Two columns would be great! I also don't like how if I respond to someone, that becomes my status. What's the point of writing a fun snarky status then?

Becky said...

I just love twitter. And I like using tweet deck. It helps me stay unconfused at least on my end :)

I can't wait to see the new cover!

prophecygirl said...

Carrie, the UK cover is absolutely lovely. I can tell you now, I'll be putting this on my recommends shelf as soon as it arrives in the Borders store I work at!

Rebecca Herman said...

Nice cover!

I added you on Facebook but I can't stand Twitter. It's impossible to follow the conversations! I wish you could see them next to each other.

LisaMay said...

I have the Australian ARC version, it does look great in person (though I think I prefer the US version)

Just wondering, is the red thing supposed to be a wilted flower? I couldn't quite work it out :)

Anonymous said...

Love Twitter, only started using it recently though, so perhaps the love will wane. TweetDeck is cool, and helps make all the updates seem a bit less overwhelming. I cannot wait for The Forest of Hands & Teeth to be released here in Australia - I keep reading all these amazing reviews of it :-)

Kat said...

I was branding the Aussie ARC on the bus the other day. The person next to me looked very interested, so I made sure to angle the cover so he'd remember it. :-D I do love the US cover, though.

For Twitter, I use TweetDeck. Doesn't help sort out all the @s from other people, but at least it helps keep track of my tweets directed at me.

Kat said...

And by branding I meant brandishing!

Tabitha said...

Great cover!! :)

As for twitter, I have no idea. I have a twitter account simply because I feel I'm supposed to, but I don't Do anything with it. Except follow other people around. :)

Irish said...

I love twitter and can't wait to see the new cover. =)

I would highly recommend that you download TweetDeck. Its broken into columns: All Tweets, @replies, and Direct Messages. You can even add columns to further sort out certain people that you follow. It also auto updates which is nice and will alert you with a chirping sound when someone leaves you an @reply. The default is that it chirps for every tweet, but you can change that in the settings.

Carrie Ryan said...

Y'all rock! Thanks so much for the great App suggestions -- I'll totally try those out!

And I'm also excited y'all like the UK/Oz cover -- I think it's so different from the US one but still really fits the book.

And LisaMay, when they sent it to me they told me the red thing is a leaf - I'm not sure I'd have figured it out otherwise :)

cleemckenzie said...

I love your two-column idea, Carrie. It would make this much easier.

The Coconutter said...

I agree with a couple other people that commented: Tweetdeck is an awesome program for helping you keep better track of tweets. If Tweetdeck isn't your cup of tea, there are other apps out there, such as Twhirl or Digsby.

Great cover! Can't wait to read the book. =)