Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Updates and Thanks!

Just wanted to re-announce the winners: Kiki and Heather, send an email to quitclaim [at] gmail.com to claim your books!

As for how my weekend goals went... well, here's the thing. I'm not good with last minute change. And I'd already planned on a weekend of sloth and girlie movies since JP wouldn't be around. I did make the edits on the first section of WIP, though. And then I watched The Holiday (ok), Stomp the Yard (I love any movie with dancing) and Catch and Release (which I actually really really liked). I also mowed the lawn, mangled part of the driveway grass with the new edger (turns out, edging is harder than it looks which is why I was afraid to try it out in the front yard where everyone would see me) and killed lots and lots and lots of weeds. I also read On Chesil Beach. So a full weekend nonetheless.

The big news is that JP's case settled (after his side handed the other a stinging and unexpected quasi-defeat) and so we are off to the beach today. Hurrah!! That means sun and sleep and booze and crabbing and reading and revising WIP and yay yay yay!

My other big news (at least in my life) is that I got the critiques back from Diana and she too loved WIP! And then proceeded to tell me all of the plot points I'd dropped, which I really needed to hear (turns out, if you ignore the plots, they won't go away!). Now I have all the crits back from my beta readers and feel sufficiently removed from WIP so that I can dive back in and really get it good. Right now my goal is to start submitting it July 23 (to avoid post RWA crush).

This is the first time I've ever had something substantial of mine critiqued by someone who isn't living with me.* And as I said before, it's scary to put yourself out there like that. I was relieved that they both loved it, impressed with the depth of their thoughts, and just flat out honored by the amount of effort they put into something that wasn't theirs (karma baby). What's interesting is that there was some overlap between their comments, but by and large they all touched on different aspects of the story. And thankfully, they don't contradict each other! Just thinking about their comments makes me shiver with excitement and say "yes, that is so right and when I make that change I know it will all click into place even more."

So I wanted to send out a big thanks to Diana and Erica for being such great friends, for taking the time to critique my WIP and for all of their hard work in helping out writers everywhere with their blogs, their advice, and their dedication to the community. Y'all rock!

And now I'm off to the beach! See y'all on Sunday or Monday!

______
* I was going to say sleeping with me, but my mother reads this blog.

9 comments:

Heather said...

Have a great time, Carrie! And good luck revising. Just remember, if Diana and Erica think your book rocks, then you're off to a fantastic start.

Patrick Alan said...

I can sympathize on the edging. This past weekend I managed to break my weedwacker at the very moment my neighbor was finishing walking his dog.

Clearly he hates my lawn skills, so he offered to weed whack and proceeded to do my whole yard. Even the parts I thought I had already done....

Yard looks great at the moment, but I don't know if I can pull that trick off again.

Diana Peterfreund said...

Awww, you're welcome.

But I don't think we can be friends anymore. Because I can't remember the last time I hated a movie as much as I hate Catch and Release. I mean HATED. I mean I called up all my friends and regaled them with the depth of my distaste. Hated the characters, hated the plot, hated the acting, rather liked the pretty sets and view of Boulder, but otherwise... HATE.

Sorry. Nice while it lasted.

Patrick Alan said...

I found Catch and Release as something I was indifferent to. Didn't hate it completely but really didn't find much entertainment in it.

Sort of the same with The Breakup. Didn't quite work as romantic comedy for me.

Hitch, on the other hand was pretty darn good, other than the ending was kind of a stretch.

I'll still be your friend, but I won't come to any Catch and Release movie nights at your house.

Diana Peterfreund said...

Patrick is clearly a more generous and understanding person than I am.

I also liked hitch. I never knew anything about Kevin James before (I thought King of Queens was a Poker show) but man did he steal that film! Funny, charming, likeable...

Patrick Alan said...

thought King of Queens was a Poker show

No TV will do that to you. :)

Carrie Ryan said...

I'm not surprised that you hated Catch and Release - I could easily see people strongly disliking that movie. I think I was just in the right mood and didn't get hung up on all the details. I really liked the opening monologue and I liked the idea of the character arcs. Plus, I liked some of the music a lot too.

You'll have to tell me what you hated about it, though I can probably guess :)

Diana Peterfreund said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Diana Peterfreund said...

Carrie, if I remember correctly, I did tell you through a Netflix message.