Thursday, July 01, 2010

Random things on a Thursday - beach edition

Yesterday JP and I drove down to his family's house at Pawley's Island for our annual 4th of July vacation.  I have to say, this is one of my favorite times of the year and spots -- our days are filled with playing games, crabbing, picking crabs, eating crabs, kayaking, bocci ball on the beach, sleeping, and one very small town parade that is taken quite seriously.  You know, the usual.  Of course, it's raining today which means lots and lots of game playing.

Cthulu figurines!!
The game of the hour is Graverobbers III: Suburban Slashers from Sunnydale Street where the object of the game is to create a B-horror-movie.  Which is of course quite appropriate for JP and I since we tend to be big fans of B-horror movies.  Last night we played Smallworld (an easier and more fun game similar to Risk but without the inevitable fights Risk always causes) and pretty soon we'll probably transition into A Touch of Evil (with expansions -- similar to Arkham Horror but I think more manageable and a little easier), Unspeakable Words (scrabble with Cthulu figures), Bananagrams (word game) and the old standbys Arkham Horror (with too many expansions to fit on our table) and Dominion (with expansions -- always a favorite).

All the games took up most of the trunk for the drive down here -- clearly we are a family that loves games :)

In the writing world I'm working on revisions for book three (The Dark and Hollow Places), working on a few proposals, working on some short stories, trying to catch up on my reading and trying to catch up on various odds and ends.  Yesterday I jumped for joy when I found Ally Carter's latest installment in her awesome and fun Gallagher Girl series, Only the Good Spy Young.  I LOVE Ally Carter's books and can't wait to dive into this one.

I also brought a bag of other books to read -- more of Richelle Mead's Vampire Academy series (of which I've already proclaimed my love), a few ARCs and some books I'm reading for my proposal :)  I'd say what space wasn't taken up in our trunk from games was taken up with books.

Is there any other perfect vacation than one that starts with books, games, and a suitcase full of shorts, tank tops and bathing suits?  And of course my wonderful husband and his family!  Going to be a fantastic week!  And when this one is over I'm heading up to Isle of Palms to spend a week with my family -- one mom, two sisters and six kids under the age of seven :)

4 comments:

Tyhitia Green said...

The games and books sound awesome, Carrie. :-D I'm jealous. No vacation for me this year. :-/

Will you be checking your e-mail soon? I sent you that pic from Con Carolinas. :-D

~Tyhitia

Kay said...

Books and games take up lots of space in our vacation trunk, too. Our current favorites are Scrabble and Settlers of Catan, not to mention Spoons and rummy.

bibliopunkk said...

Ha! Books and games, that sounds like when my boy and I went to New Jersey. I think I read 7 books, had 4 more in the car...and we were only gone 8 days. :)

Have fun with Ally Carter. I read it a few days ago. It's a riot, as always.

-Krys

Kelly Belly said...

I read 'THE FOREST OF HANDS AND TEETH' a couple of days ago. It must have been a very poignant reading experience because I had a nightmare about zombies yesterday and woke up all sweaty with irregular breathing. Hahaha :P

It was terrifying, yes, but very thrilling. I never imagined it was possible to get an adrenaline rush whilst I was sleeping. Lol XD

So I guess all I wanted to say is that it was a hauntingly wonderful book and I am going to get my hands on THE DEAD-TOSSED WAVES ASAP!!!

AND I JUST SAW THAT ITS GOING TO BE MADE INTO A MOVIE! Kristen Stewart as the potential star? Like whoaaa.

But you're a great writer so you definitely deserve it! I know this has nothing to do with the post (sorry!!) but I just had to let it out. :D