Monday, October 19, 2009

Upcoming events in the Charlotte area this week!

Hey Y'all!  I had an AMAZING time up in NYC and I can't wait to tell you more about it... but my first pass pages for The Dead-Tossed Waves are due today which means I'll have to wait until tomorrow or Weds before I fill you in on all the details of my trip :)

But I did want to tell y'all about a few events I have this week for Teen Read Week!  Tomorrow I'm doing two visits to the Freedom Regional Library, but I'm not sure those are open to the public.  The other two events definitely are open to the public and I'd love to see you there!
What: Discussion and signing for Teen Read Week
Where: Davidson Branch of the PLCMC
When: Friday October 23, 6pm-8pm

What: Discussion and signing for Teen Read Week
Where: University City Branch of the PLCMC
When: Saturday October 24, 3pm-5pm

I'm really looking forward to these!  And here's my question for y'all as I'm putting together my program.  Usually I've spoken to groups who've read The Forest of Hands and Teeth already and I'm fairly certain that some of these groups won't have.  What do you like to see in an author presentation (if you've read their book or if you haven't?). Thanks!!

5 comments:

Rebecca Knight said...

That's going to feel good once your pages are out of your hands, I'll bet :). Congrats, and can't wait for the sequel!

Shveta Thakrar said...

Have fun with the first pass pages. :)

Meghan said...

Well, definitely an excerpt. That always sells (or doesn't!) a book for me. If I can't read a section of the book (online or whatever) I won't spend money on it.
Also, it is always interesting to hear where authors get their ideas from. I love to write if I know what to write about, but I am always amazed by an author who comes up with an original idea. Where do all those details come from??

marni said...

I wish I could come to hear you speak, but alas I cannot (will you be coming to Roanoke, VA, anytime soon?). So, I would want to know typical stuff like:

-What were your inspirations while writing the book--for instance, did you watch any movies, read any books, listen to any music that put you in the frame of mind that you needed to be in to able to write the book? Or would these have influenced your writing too much?

-How did you build your world? What did you visualize in the beginning and did it change as your story moved forward?

-You'll probably have a few or ten or more people that are would be writers and want to know what your process is like.

-*Spoiler* was it hard to kill the love interest? and what happened to those left on the path? will we know by the end of DTW? are there any more companion books in the works?

-And I would feel really, really lucky if you were to be so gracious as to read an excerpt from DTW.

-and, finally, I would want to know whether FHT scared you while you were writing it.

I hope it goes well for you. :)

Marni

Wrighty said...

I'm sure everyone will be so thrilled to see you! it sounds exciting! I agree with reading an excerpt and letting them know what the book is about. I'm always fascinated by the authors themselves. I would want to know how the book became a book. It's interesting to hear where your ideas came from, how you decided to change careers and what it took to do that. I'm sure all of your audiences will be thrilled to hear anything you have to say! Good luck!!